The new generation KTM 250 XC-W TPI is the ultimate combination of power and rideability and sets a clear benchmark for intuitive handling, unique style and top performance. Thanks to its groundbreaking TPI (transfer port injection) technology, this extreme machine continues to reach new heights, clearly demonstrating KTM's unrelenting commitment to 2-stroke development. Besides the renowned benefits of excellent fuel efficiency, clean exhaust emissions and the removed need for jetting, the KTM 250 XC-W TPI features a dynamic, lightweight frame. It was developed with feedback from factory riders and in hindsight, returns the favor by offering excellent rider feedback.
ENGINE & EXHAUST
- The 250cc 2-stroke engine has plenty power and torque, but remains light enough for riders to muscle their way through the toughest obstacles. Thanks to state-of-the-art engineering, innovative 2-stroke design and revolutionary TPI fuel injection technology, the powerplant is even more refined than ever before. The compact and lightweight 2-stroke is a great choice for offroad riders who want usable enduro performance that is ready to conquer in the most extreme terrain.
- The KTM 250 XC-W TPI cylinder has a bore of 72 mm and is fitted with a sophisticated power valve, which provides really smooth and controllable power characteristics. For the EFI application the cylinder features two lateral domes which hold the fuel injectors that supply fuel to the rear transfer ports. The downstream injection guarantees excellent atomization of the fuel with the upstreaming air. Thus, the loss of unburnt fuel is minimal for less emissions, a more efficient combustion and reduced fuel consumption. A little tube in the back of the cylinder is connected with an intake pressure sensor, which supplies pressure data to the control unit. As of the 2020 model, the cylinders feature an improved power valve unit with a sophisticated mechanism for the lateral support exhaust ports. The new exhaust port layout increases engine performance, while the upper contour of the exhaust port has been machined to ensure more accurate port timing. Last but not least the new models allow the use of a more widely available type of traditional spark plug.
- The compact engine cases are manufactured using a high pressure die-cast production process which helps with weight reduction, while retaining strength and durability. The design allows for optimal shaft arrangements close to the center of gravity, resulting in ideal mass centralization and easier ride-ability. Plus, the engine covers feature a smart surface structure which reduces wear caused by the rider's boots, keeping them looking as fresh as the day you bought your XC-W.
- The robust 6-speed transmission made by PANKL Racing Systems features an Enduro-specific wide-ratio specification and provides precise and easy shifting. An advanced ´No Dirt´ gear shift lever design prevents mud and dirt from blocking the joint. Because even dirt lovers hate mud when it's in the wrong places.
- The engine management system (EMS) of the TPI models features a control unit located below the seat. The ECU defines the ignition timing while the amount of fuel to inject is based on several sensor readings such as intake air pressure, throttle position and water temperature plus a new additional ambient air pressure sensor. Thanks to altitude and temperature compensation the rider does not need to worry about fiddling around with the jetting anymore. Should the rider decide to mount a radiator fan from the KTM PowerParts program, it will be controlled directly by the EMS without needing to add an additional thermal switch.
- Say goodbye to numb feet and hands. This engine design allows the implementation of a lateral balancer shaft in order to keep the vibrations to a minimum. You know what that means: more comfort, less fatigue, bigger smiles.
- The KTM 250 XC-W TPI employs the KTM-developed DDS clutch (damped diaphragm steel) with a wear-free steel basket, extremely heat resistant clutch plates and nitrated steel liners. This clever design employs a diaphragm spring instead of the usual coil springs, making for considerably easier clutch action. A diaphragm spring also leaves sufficient space for a damping system to be integrated into the clutch hub. The goal is traction, but without compromising durability. Light operation and a 'telepathic' level of control come standard with this hydraulic Brembo actuated clutch.
- Pre-mixing 2-stroke fuel is a thing of the past for KTM XC-W TPI owners. The 2020 models are fitted with a newly designed 2-stroke oil tank featuring reworked and more flexible mountings, which greatly improve durability and reliability. In addition, a mesh filter helps prevent dirt getting into the oil pump. Mounted below the oil tank, the oil pump delivers the lubricant directly to the throttle body, where it is mixed with the incoming air to lubricate the piston and crankshaft. Using engine speed and throttle position sensor data, the engine management's precise electronic control of the oil pump ensures that the ideal amount of oil for any given conditions is used. The filler cap assembly for the oil tank is located between the fuel tank and steering head, utilizing a hose in the upper frame tube to transfer the oil to the storage container. With an average fuel-to-oil ratio of 1:80, the oil capacity of about 0.7 liters is sufficient for at least five tanks of fuel.
- The TPI engine is fitted with a redesigned 39 mm throttle body made by Dell`Orto. The airflow is regulated by a butterfly connected with a twin-cable throttle cam, which is operated by the handlebar throttle assembly. A throttle position sensor provides airflow data to the control unit. For MY20 the idle system was reworked allowing the idle speed to be set more precisely via the bypass screw. Also, the cold start system is improved for a better supply of extra air when opening a bypass. Oil supplied by the electronically controlled oil pump via an oil intake tube is mixed with the incoming air to lubricate the moving engine parts.
- To accommodate the power requirements of the engine management system, the TPI models are fitted with a powerful 196 W alternator and a voltage regulator. The same as can be found on the XCF-W 4-stroke models.
- Maintaining the optimal engine temperature is crucial to ensuring consistent horsepower throughout the ride. The KTM 250 XC-W TPI features newly designed radiators which are mounted 12 mm lower than the predecessors. This lowers the center of gravity and matches the design of the new shrouds perfectly, in order to achieve perfect ergonomics. By using CFD technology (computational fluid dynamics) together with a clever coolant circuit routing, the innovative system ensures the optimum engine temperature for the highest performance, no matter what the conditions. Above all, a reworked delta distributor, integrated into the frame triangle, features a 4 mm larger center tube, increasing the cross section by 57%, making the coolant flow from the cylinder head to the radiators more efficient. The radiators also feature special protectors that don't only serve as protection from flying rocks and debris but also as a brace that disperses energy around the radiators in the event of an impact.
- When it comes to improved power delivery and performance, the new exhaust plays a key role and packs a punch that is hard to beat. The 250 cc and 300 cc models feature new HD exhaust pipes (heavy-duty) made by using an innovative 3D stamping process which produces a rippled surface finish. This makes the pipe much stronger, with better resistance against rocks, while also helping to reduce noise drastically. The silencer features a new shape and end cap with reworked internal designs individually developed for each model. The plastic silencer holder is now replaced with lightweight, welded mounting brackets. In addition, the exhaust's new shape provides slimmer ergonomics and more ground clearance, while a new perforated inner silencer tube works with lighter damping wool for more efficient and more durable noise reduction. This adds up to a weight reduction of approximately 200 grams.
- All XC-W models feature new high-tech, lightweight chromoly steel frames. This includes hydro-formed elements produced by state-of-the-art robot welding. They retain their race-proven geometries, but by re-designing certain areas, the stiffness has been optimized, resulting in better feedback for the rider, playful handling and improved stability. The laterally attached engine head stays (the connection between cylinder, head and frame) are now made of aluminum, reducing vibration and further contributing to precise cornering. The bikes also feature newly designed lateral frame guards with a structured surface, improving grip, while also serving as a heat protector against the muffler on the right side. On the KTM 250 XC-W TPI frame, the engine is lowered by 1° around the swing arm pivot improving front wheel traction significantly. The subframe is made of extra-light and stable aluminum profiles, weighing less than 2 lbs (900 gr) and is 40 mm longer than before, providing better rear fender stability.
- The KTM 250 XC-W TPI's one-piece aluminum swingarm is manufactured using a gravity die-cast production process, offering exceptional strength at the lowest possible weight. The single-component casting process offers low weight, perfect flex behavior and also allows for a large number of geometry solutions.
- The KTM 250 XC-W TPI is fitted with lightweight, CNC-machined hubs, high-end Giant rims and black spokes with lightweight aluminum nipples providing maximum stability at minimum weight. The latest Dunlop Geomax AT81 tires guarantee perfect traction and outstanding performance.
- All XC-W models are fitted with the latest 48 mm diameter WP XPLOR upside-down forks, featuring a split fork design developed by WP and KTM. It is fitted with a spring on both sides, but features separated functions for each fork leg: compression damping is fitted on the left side, while rebound is on the right. So the fork can easily be adjusted for compression and rebound with the twist of a dial on top of the fork tubes (30 clicks each). Although already distinguished for outstanding response and damping characteristics, the fork features a calibrated mid-valve piston for consistent damping. The settings keep the front end higher in the stroke, providing impressive reserves against bottoming out.
- The WP XPLOR shock absorber is the key element in the proven PDS rear suspension design (progressive damping system), where the shock is directly linked to the swingarm without an additional linkage system. This keeps weight lower and reduces the chances of hooking on rocks. Optimal dual-sport specific damping progression is achieved by using a second damping piston in combination with a closed cup towards the end of the stroke, and supported by a progressive shock spring. For 2020, improvements to the second piston, as well as a reworked shape and sealing of the cup, lead to improved resistance against bottoming without any sacrifice of comfort. New settings on the XPLOR shock with PDS technology provide better damping characteristics and match the new frame and reworked front-end set-up perfectly. It is fully adjustable, including high and low-speed compression, so you can set the shock up to suit any track, trail and rider preferences.
- The 250 XC-W TPI is fitted with forged triple clamps with an offset of 22mm, ensuring a solid grip of the fork and precise handling. The handlebar is adjustable forwards and backwards over 4 positions; this XC-W will fit you like your favorite gloves.
- These high-tech Brembo brakes are combined with lightweight Wave brake discs. You couldn't brake any harder or with better feel on an offroad motorcycle.
- This is a lightweight polyethylene tank with a capacity of 2.4 gallons. Manufactured using see‐through plastic, you will always be able to see how much fuel remains at a glance. Additionally, the XC-W TPI models incorporate an integrated fuel pump system and an additional fuel level sensor so you'll always know when you're running low on gas.
- The air filter box design offers maximum protection of the air filter against soiling, while ensuring maximum airflow, and together with the intake snorkels, results in optimal power and throttle response. The large Twin Air air filter is mounted on a stiff cage, which at the same time holds the system in place. This design is so simple, you could still pop a fresh one in with a face full of mud. Without tools. In seconds.
ERGONOMICS & COMFORT
- All KTM XC-W models are equipped with the same high-strength aluminum tapered handlebar, made by NEKEN. The handlebar allows for four different positions. The handlebars come standard with an ODI vulcanized grip on the right side and a comfortable ODI lock-on grip, which does not require any wire or glue, on the left. Additionally, all models can be equipped with an optional handlebar map select switch, which allows to select between a standard and advanced power curve.
- Sophisticated ´No-Dirt´ footpegs prevent clogging up the pegs, even when digging in deep ruts. The pegs on the Enduro models are 6 mm higher than the ones used on SX models, which benefits ground clearance. But you can swap them at will.
- The XC-W range features state-of-the-art seat technology with a newly shaped surface that provides improved ergonomics and much better seat comfort thanks to higher foam padding. The seat is conveniently fixed to the bike using one long, lateral screw, making it safe and easy to handle.
BODYWORK & GRAPHICS
- The durable in-mold graphics convey the READY TO RACE character of the KTM XC-W model line.
SOFTWARE & ELECTRONICS
- All engines are fitted with the proven electric starter, which is a major benefit for any offroad activity. It is powered by a super lightweight 2 ah lithium-ion starter battery which provides safe, reliable starting. A reworked wiring harness and revised packaging has most of the electrical components concentrated into a common area below the seat, making them more accessible and reliable.
All inventory listed is subject to availability and prior sale. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) if shown for a vehicle excludes set-up, freight, taxes, title, licensing or other dealer charges, and is subject to change. Individual prices may vary. Please request a quote for specific pricing.