This nimble, lightweight, extreme terrain master proudly features the TPI (transfer port injection). This means that there is no need for re-jetting or mixing fuel, making this easy-to-shred thoroughbred even simpler to ride and work on while delivering excellent fuel efficiency and clean exhaust emissions. Recognized for its supreme agility, the KTM 150 XC-W TPI benefits from a lightweight frame with class-leading flex characteristics that helps elevate rider and machine to incredible new levels of competence.
ENGINE & EXHAUST
- Thanks to state-of-the-art engineering, innovative 2-stroke design and revolutionary TPI fuel injection technology, the 150 cc 2-stroke powerplant is more refined than ever before, delivering class-leading power throughout the entire rev range. The benefit to this compact, lightweight 2-stroke, is reflected in the highly effective power delivery and easy rideability, making it a great option for those looking to delve into more extreme action.
- The KTM 150 XC-W TPI cylinder has a bore of 58 mm and with refined port timings and the aid of a sophisticated power valve, provides really smooth and controllable power characteristics. For the EFI application the cylinder features two lateral domes which hold the fuel injectors that supply fuel to the rear transfer ports. The downstream injection guarantees excellent atomization of the fuel with the upstreaming air. Thus, the loss of unburnt fuel is minimal, resulting in less emissions, a more efficient combustion and reduced fuel consumption. A small tube in the back of the cylinder is connected with an intake pressure sensor, which supplies pressure data to the control unit. The cylinder features a power valve unit with a sophisticated mechanism for the lateral support exhaust ports. The exhaust port layout increases engine performance, while the upper contour of the exhaust port has been machined to ensure more accurate port timing. The new cylinder, with TPI technology, produces outstanding performance over the entire range with significantly increased torque compared to its predecessor. Last but not least, the new cylinder allows for the use of a more widely available traditional type of spark plug.
- The compact engine cases are manufactured using a high pressure die-cast production process which helps with weight reduction, while retaining strength and durability. The design allows for optimal shaft arrangements close to the center of gravity, resulting in ideal mass centralization and easier ride-ability. To accommodate the larger alternator, the 2020 model has a new ignition cover. The engine covers feature a smart surface structure which reduces wear caused by the rider's boots, keeping them looking as fresh as the day you bought your XC-W.
- The KTM 150 XC-W TPI is now fitted with a robust 6-speed transmission made by PANKL RACING SYSTEMS. The gear ratios were carried over from the predecessor, but all the gears feature improvements and reinforcements. Instead of using a circlip for the pinion, the secondary drive is now fixed and secured with a screw and diaphragm spring as on all other offroad models. This guarantees superior reliability. Another highlight of the KTM 150 XC-W TPI transmission, is the no-dirt gear shifter. Similar to the footpeg design, it prevents the build-up of dirt and ensures the next gear is always available, no matter what the conditions.
- The 150 XC-W TPI is fitted with a DS (diaphragm steel) clutch. It features a one-piece clutch basket and primary gear made of high-strength billet steel. Its compact rivet-less design guarantees unbeatable reliability. The clutch is fitted with extremely heat-resistant steel carrier friction discs which ensure excellent disengagement of the clutch and are pre-tensioned by means of a diaphragm spring, substantially reducing the lever force required by the Brembo hydraulic system.
- The engine management system (EMS) of the TPI models features a control unit located below the seat. The ECU defines the ignition timing while the amount of fuel to inject is based on several sensor readings such as intake air pressure, throttle position and water temperature plus a new additional ambient air pressure sensor. Thanks to altitude and temperature compensation the rider does not need to worry about fiddling around with the jetting anymore. Should the rider decide to mount a radiator fan from the KTM PowerParts program, it will be controlled directly by the EMS without needing to add an additional thermal switch.
- The engine management system (EMS) of the TPI models features a control unit located below the seat. The ECU defines the ignition timing and amount of fuel to inject is based on several sensor readings such as intake air pressure, throttle position and water temperature plus a new additional ambient air pressure sensor. Thanks to altitude and temperature compensation the rider does not need to worry about fiddling around with the jetting anymore. Should the rider decide to mount a radiator fan from the KTM PowerParts program, it will be controlled directly by the EMS without needing to add an additional thermal switch. An optional map select switch can be purchased, which allows the rider to select an alternate map while on the fly, for the optimal power delivery no matter the conditions.
- Pre-mixing 2-stroke fuel is a thing of the past for KTM XC-W TPI owners. The 2020 models are fitted with a newly designed 2-stroke oil tank featuring reworked and more flexible mountings, which greatly improve durability and reliability. In addition, a mesh filter helps prevent dirt getting into the oil pump. Mounted below the oil tank, the oil pump delivers the lubricant directly to the throttle body, where it is mixed with the incoming air to lubricate the piston and crankshaft. Using engine speed and throttle position sensor data, the engine management's precise electronic control of the oil pump ensures that the ideal amount of oil for any given conditions is used. The filler cap assembly for the oil tank is located between the fuel tank and steering head, utilizing a hose in the upper frame tube to transfer the oil to the storage container. With an average fuel-to-oil ratio of 1:80, the oil capacity of about 0.7 liters is sufficient for at least five tanks of fuel.
- The TPI engine is fitted with a redesigned 39 mm throttle body made by Dell`Orto. The airflow is regulated by a butterfly connected with a twin-cable throttle cam, which is operated by the handlebar throttle assembly. A throttle position sensor provides airflow data to the control unit. For MY20 the idle system was reworked allowing the idle speed to be set more precisely via the bypass screw. Also, the cold start system is improved for a better supply of extra air when opening a bypass. Oil supplied by the electronically controlled oil pump via an oil intake tube is mixed with the incoming air to lubricate the moving engine parts.
- To accommodate the power requirements of the upgraded engine management system, the TPI models are now fitted with a powerful 196 W alternator and a voltage regulator. The same as can be found on the EXC-F 4-stroke models.
- Maintaining the optimal engine temperature is crucial to ensuring consistent horsepower throughout the ride. The KTM 150 XC-W TPI features newly designed radiators which are mounted 12 mm lower than the predecessors. This lowers the center of gravity and matches the design of the new shrouds perfectly, in order to achieve perfect ergonomics. By using CFD technology (computational fluid dynamics) together with a clever coolant circuit routing, the innovative system ensures the optimum engine temperature for the highest performance, no matter what the conditions. Above all, a reworked delta distributor, integrated into the frame triangle, features a 4 mm larger center tube, increasing the cross section by 57%, making the coolant flow from the cylinder head to the radiators more efficient. The radiators also feature special protectors that don't only serve as protection from flying rocks and debris but also as a brace that disperses energy around the radiators in the event of an impact.
- When it comes to improved power delivery and performance, the new exhaust plays a key role and packs a punch that is hard to beat. The pipe is produced with the latest 3-D stamping technology and has an optimized shape. The silencer also features a reworked design that includes a new perforated inner tube and lighter wool. The new exhaust works perfectly with the new TPI engine, producing excellent enduro-specific performance with significantly better bottom end power than its carbureted predecessor. Last but not least the plastic mounting system of the muffler is replaced by 2 welded, aluminium brackets that help reduce the weight of the muffler by 60 g.
- All XC-W models feature new high-tech, lightweight chromoly steel frames. This includes hydro-formed elements produced by state-of-the-art robot welding. They retain their race-proven geometries, but by redesigning certain areas they now have a higher lateral, longitudinal and torsional stiffness, resulting in better feedback for the rider, playful handling and improved stability. The laterally attached engine head stays (the connection between cylinder, head and frame) are now made of aluminum, reducing vibration and further contributing to precise cornering. The bikes also feature newly designed lateral frame guards with a structured surface, improving grip, while also serving as a heat protector against the muffler on the right side. The subframe is made of extra-light and stable aluminum profiles, weighing less than 2 lbs (900 gr) and is 40 mm longer than before, providing better rear fender stability.
- The KTM 150 XC-W TPI's one-piece aluminum swingarm is manufactured using a gravity die-cast production process, offering exceptional strength at the lowest possible weight. The single-component casting process offers low weight, perfect flex behavior and also allows for a large number of geometry solutions.
- The 150 XC-W TPI is fitted with lightweight, CNC-machined hubs, high-end Giant rims and black spokes with lightweight aluminum nipples providing maximum stability at minimum weight. The latest Dunlop Geomax AT81 tires guarantee perfect traction and outstanding performance.
- All XC-W models are fitted with the latest 48 mm diameter WP XPLOR upside-down forks, featuring a split fork design developed by WP and KTM. While each side is fitted with springs, they have separate damping functions. Compression damping is on the left and the rebound on the right. Both can easily be adjusted via the dials on top of both fork tubes with 30 clicks each. Although already distinguished for outstanding response and damping characteristics, the 2020 fork features a calibrated mid-valve piston for more constant damping. It also has new upper fork caps and clicker adjusters for easier adjustment with a new color and graphic design. The new settings keep the front end higher, providing increased reserves against bottoming out.
- The WP XPLOR shock absorber is the key element in the proven PDS rear suspension design (progressive damping system), where the shock is directly linked to the swingarm without an additional linkage system. This keeps weight lower and reduces the chances of hooking on rocks. Optimal dual-sport specific damping progression is achieved by using a second damping piston in combination with a closed cup towards the end of the stroke, and supported by a progressive shock spring. For 2020, improvements to the second piston, as well as a reworked shape and sealing of the cup, lead to improved resistance against bottoming without any sacrifice of comfort. New settings on the XPLOR shock with PDS technology provide better damping characteristics and match the new frame and reworked front-end set-up perfectly. It is fully adjustable, including high and low-speed compression, so you can set the shock up to suit any track, trail and rider preferences.
- The XC-Ws are fitted with forged triple clamps with an offset of 22mm, ensuring a solid grip of the fork and precise handling. The handlebar is adjustable forwards and backwards over 4 positions, so the XC-W will fit you like your favorite gloves.
- These high-tech Brembo brakes are combined with lightweight Wave brake discs. You couldn't brake any harder or with better feel on an offroad motorcycle.
- All models in the XC-W range are fitted with newly designed lightweight polyethylene tanks improving the ergonomics. The ¼‐turn bayonet filler cap makes for quick and easy closure. Manufactured using see‐through plastic, you will always be able to see how much fuel remains at a glance. It is fitted with an integrated fuel pump system and a fuel level sensor. Additionally, the fuel line features a 90° connector to the tank for better protection against damage.
- The new airbox on the KTM 150 XC-W TPI has been completely reworked to suit the new throttle body for the TPI system. It also allows for better flow dynamics and together with new intake snorkels, assists in delivering optimal power and throttle response. Despite the obvious performance enhancements, the new design also offers maximum protection against soiling of the air filter. The large twin-air air filter is mounted on a cleverly designed stiff cage that minimizes incorrect installation. As found on previous models, filter maintenance is quick and easy and does not require tools - a standard, original feature from KTM.
ERGONOMICS & COMFORT
- All KTM XC-W models are equipped with the same high-strength aluminum tapered handlebar, made by NEKEN. The handlebar allows for four different positions. The handlebars come standard with an ODI vulcanized grip on the right side and a comfortable ODI lock-on grip, which does not require any wire or glue, on the left. Additionally, all models can be equipped with an optional handlebar map select switch, which allows to select between a standard and advanced power curve.
- Sophisticated ´No-Dirt´ footpegs prevent clogging up the pegs, even when digging in deep ruts. The pegs on the Enduro models are 6 mm higher than the ones used on SX models, which benefits ground clearance. But you can swap them at will.
- The XC-W range features state-of-the-art seat technology with a newly shaped surface that provides improved ergonomics and much better seat comfort thanks to higher foam padding. The seat is conveniently fixed to the bike using one long, lateral screw, making it safe and easy to handle.
BODYWORK & GRAPHICS
- The durable in-mold graphics convey the READY TO RACE character of the KTM XC-W model line.
SOFTWARE & ELECTRONICS
- All engines are fitted with the proven electric starter, which is a major benefit for any offroad activity. It is powered by a super lightweight 2 ah lithium-ion starter battery which provides safe, reliable starting. A reworked wiring harness and revised packaging has most of the electrical components concentrated into a common area below the seat, making them more accessible and reliable.
All inventory listed is subject to availability and prior sale. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) if shown for a vehicle excludes set-up, freight, taxes, title, licensing or other dealer charges, and is subject to change. Individual prices may vary. Please request a quote for specific pricing.